Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tuesday Truths...and a little of "It Takes A Church"


“The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit.” -Proverbs 18:24

Back in February I had a one-of-a-kind experience. My husband and I, along with our pastor and some friends from church, filmed a reality TV show episode on the new show called, "It Takes A Church" on Game Show Network. Yes, you read that correctly. It still feels a little surreal even to write about it. During those days of filming, God had been pressing and speaking to me so passionately about being aware of the words I speak. For three days I had a microphone strapped to me – we referred to it as “My Holy Spirit” – but oh how true. Shouldn’t we all walk around with a constant reminder to be watchful of our words! It has been years since I’ve felt this submerged in “the world” by being with Hollywood crew and producers, trying to speak truth and life – and not making an idiot of myself on national television!! What a challenge and eye-opening experience! So take a minute and think about the people around you, your circumstances and your opportunities that can be affected by your words. Those hurting and in need a word of encouragement – “Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.” Proverbs 16:24. Or someone that needs to hear something God has placed on your heart – “A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.” Proverbs 25-11. Maybe there is someone that needs or deserves your praise – “Let another praise you, and not your own mouth; someone else, and not your own lips.” Proverbs 27:2.  Then I think about the times my words have caused damage – “Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” Proverbs 12:18. Or when I am upset about something or with someone or one (or all) of my children – “When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise.” Proverbs 10:19. What a great reminder that we have the power of life and death! How are you using your words today? Join me this week and let’s all strap the Holy Spirit to us as we use our words to bring life around us! Heavenly Father, you tell us in your word that the lips of the righteous know what is fitting – help me Lord to stay in tune with your Spirit so that I can acknowledge that very thing. Bring me so close to You that I know immediately what words to use and the words to hold back. Amen.

Our episode aired on June 12th, so for months I had been holding my breath, nervous on how they would edit and praying, “God, if I’m going to look like a fool, let me look like a fool in love with You!” We loved the episode – and I might be a bit biased, but I’m pretty sure my husband stole the show. I’m so happy that his humor shined through. Boy, I sure love that guy! Here are a few pictures with the cast, crew and producers from the show!

 









No comments:

Post a Comment